Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Always looking for advice...

So yesterday I decided that I should just come right out on the Etsy forums and ask for specific advice about selling fine jewellery on Etsy. I say specific because I'd say about 75% of the jewellery makers on Etsy are beader and although I have nothing against beaded jewellery it's a different type of jewellery thus a different type of selling (yes I know there are high end beaders but they are not your general beaders). I got some very nice comments but not quite as much advice as I'd hoped for. Mostly along the lines of: Your stuff is gorgeous, good luck. However the most common theme was: Your jewellery is underpriced! O.O I never really thought of this as a deterrent for buyers but maybe it is. It could be that I'm not attracting the right buyers because of my price bracket. So prices in my shop have raised by about 20%. I'm hoping this might make a bit of a difference.

Another good thing about putting up that post in the forums was that I took a moment to look for other jewellers on Etsy making a similar product. I paid a bit more attention to these sellers prices and how many sales they've had. Well let me say I am much more optimistic in knowing that yes you can sell fine jwellery on Etsy and make a profit. I'm also going to go back to using my pricing formula and if I think it's too high I'm just going to have to live with it because obviously I'm too cheap for my own good!

Recently Added to my Shop:

2 comments:

  1. Your jewelry is gorgeous by the way, and I know how you feel because I have an etsy shop too, and I'm caught because I want to have a competitive price yet I don't want to overprice.
    I'm sure once you find you pricing niche you'll be very successful.
    Let me know what happens! (:
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete