Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A little bit of inspiration...

This morning while catching up on some of the blogs I've been following I came across this list of links to advice for new blogger's on Olivebites' blog. In one of the links I found the quote listed below and I found it quite inspiring.

"I once had opportunity to meet a guy who had travelled the world climbing some of the highest mountains. When I said to him that it must be an exciting thing to do he told me that there are moments of exhilaration and excitement but that the reality is that much of what he does when climbing a mountain is pretty boring. It’s one foot in front of another type activity through foothills, carrying a heavy pack and not feeling like you’re making much progress. Of course once you make it to the top or conquer challenges along the path you have moments of excitement but it all starts with setting out from base camp and with the goal of getting to a point where the climb starts in earnest."


- From Darren Rowse's entry 9 First Step Goals for New Bloggers on Problogger.net


This story really can be applied to any venture you take in your life and I can really see the connection to applying this idea to starting a small business. It takes an enormous amount of energy, focus and money to start a business. When you start out at the bottom you can clearly see your goal, that tiny peak so far above your head. You're excited with dreams of reaching that point. You start out on your journey happy to carry that burden on your back because you know it'll make that point of reaching the top that much sweeter because it just proves how strong you are. However as you continue on step after step the pack gets heavier and your steps slower. It gets harder to see the peak. The most difficult part of any journey is the middle and it's so easy to get discouraged and to want to drop your pack and just sit down where you are with your head in your hands. You have to keep focusing on that final goal though because even if you can't see it it's still waiting for you at the top. You can make it if you keep going.

Right now I'm still in the middle of my journey, fairly close to base camp and it's so easy to get distracted from my goal. There are other little precipices that look like they would offer a good view and many loose rocks that trip up my feet along the way. But I know that the view will be best at the top. So I need to keep climbing.

Which mountain are you climbing? Are there things tripping you up? I hope this little quote has inspired you as much as it has me to keep on climbing because once we get to the top we'll get to see the whole world at our feet, and won't it be a beautiful site?

No comments:

Post a Comment